1) "I have life jackets on board" Simply having life jackets on board the vessel, does not guarantee safety. Accidents occur too fast to put on a stowed life jacket.
2) "I am a strong swimmer" Even the strongest swimmers need to wear a life jacket. During an emergency, clothing can become heavy in the water. In addition to that, cold and exhaustion can make swimming impossible.
3) "It’s too hot and doesn’t look cool" Old-fashioned life jackets have been replaced with new styles, like inflatable life jackets that may resemble a pair of suspenders or a belt pack. These are much cooler in the warmer weather.
4) "It gets in the way" Life jacket market has developed and nowadays one can find specific life jackets for any recreational water activity like fishing and water sports of all kinds.
5) "Nothing is going to happen to me" Truth to be told, accidents do happen. Boating can be a fun, exciting activity and safe at the same time, but when the "Wear It!" message is ignored, the consequences can be grim.